|"Lego builders are becoming insane. And I enjoy that."|
|Follow us on Facebook: MonsterChess - Twitter: MonsterChess - email: MonsterChess - at - TeamHassenplug.org|
|This is the main introduction video that explains how it works.
"Wow, how did they make a child that tiny? He's walking on a chessboard."
|This clip shows a single game being played out. It's a pretty short game, played by a chess master.|
|Come see it live at|
|Other locations will be listed here, as arrangements are made.
We had 3 “build parties” where we built large segments of the Monster Chess project. We’d like to thank everybody involved in helping bring Monster Chess to fruition.
|We’d especially like to thank the LEGO MINDSTORMS® team for their efforts in making this a reality.|
· Controls game to Fédération Internationale des Éches (FIDE) rules
· Either color can be human or computer
· Interacts with various third party chess engines using Standard Algebraic Notation (SAN) format
· Currently optimized to work with “Crafty” chess engine
· Save and restore board layout to/from Forsyth-Edwards Notation (FEN) record
· Save and Replay games to/from Portable Game Notation (PGN) file
· Load “Chess Puzzles” for players to solve
· Graphical on-screen helpers highlight available moves
· Battery status of individual chess pieces reported on-screen
· Uses Bluetooth to communicate with individual chess pieces
· Uses an enhanced and customized version of Steve Norris’ original ChessBot
Additional Robot Control Functions
· Calculates robot paths using a recursive square-by-square tree search
· Optimizes the chosen path by assigning point values to…
· the overall length of path
· the number of turns
· the number of border squares used
· the number of occupied squares used
· the ease of moving any blocking pieces
· Automatically clears and restores blocking pieces if necessary
· Parks captured pieces in the border zone of capturing color
· Exchanges promoted pawns for a previously captured piece (where possible)
· Calculates inter-move dependencies to allow multiple pieces to move simultaneously
· Orients parked pieces based on current square and color
· Operates piece-specific functions where appropriate (e.g. knight galloping)
· Automatically resets all pieces to desired position (standard, FEN or off-board)
Nothing but hits
Where are those hits coming from?
http://brian.carnell.com/articles/2010/monster-chess-large-chess-board-built-with-lego-mindstorms/ (follow the links to the ARS review for another cool story)
Sponsored by: LEGO, the LEGO logo, DUPLO, BIONICLE, MINDSTORMS, the BELVILLE, KNIGHTS’ KINGDOM and EXO-FORCE logos, the Brick and Knob configurations and the Minifigure are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2010 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved. and the LabVIEW logo are trademarks of National Instruments.
|Other Team Hassenplug stuff here|